Have you ever had someone give you a business card before they say anything to you?
There must be some psychological trigger at work. One where the card giver looks at you and thinks ‘That person has a professional appearance. I must introduce them to what I have to offer’
The card giver doesn’t know who you are – or what you might need – you are another person to whom they gave a business card at that event.
Without getting to know you they want you to know them and why their online marketing process (or whatever) represents a great opportunity for you.
Annoying isn’t it?
What Are The 3 Relationship Building Skills You Need?
I think a better approach to building a relationship involves listening. Then making time to establish rapport. From that mutual place of trust you can go forward. You might get to a point where the other person is deeply engaged with what you are saying.
Here are 3 skills at the heart of engaged relationships. Having these 3 elements in place makes it easier to say what you mean concerning your project / area of work / bright idea:
Empathy – How much time have you spent building your knowledge of the needs of the particular niche you want to service?
- Who is in that niche?
- What stresses are they under?
- How does your ‘thing’ reduce those pressures?
Authenticity – Have you been a member of the niche you are focusing on?
- What true ‘Before and After’ story can you tell to connect you to it?
- How passionate are you about offering service to your niche?
- What do you want people to feel when they first encounter your work?
Self-Awareness – How much effort do you want to make in building and maintaining these relationships?
- What signals tell you that you are holding the other person’s attention?
- How do you vary what you are doing to deepen your connection?
- How do you feel if the other person says they are not interested?
There’s A Google Hangout You Might Want To Join
I am hosting a Google Hangout on 12 May looking into these issues – I hope you will want to join in. Follow the link if so.
What Is Your Next Step?
Thanks for reading to the end. What step will you take today to build more productive relationships? Feel free to comment below – or Tweet @RogerD_Said – share this post with the people you know who would benefit from reading it.